Banking Competition Remedies Limited (BCR) has been established to implement the Alternative Remedies Package of measures agreed between the UK Government and the European Commission.
BCR is independent from NatWest (formerly known as “RBS”) and the UK Government. It is governed by an independent Board of Directors.
The primary responsibilities of BCR are to:
- Provide information to applicants and other interested parties in respect of the Capability and Innovation Fund and Incentivised Switching Scheme. This is now complete.
- Manage and disburse the Capability and Innovation Fund to Awardees. Pool F funds were distributed in October 2021. This is now complete.
- Administer dowry payments to Participants and oversee the delivery of the Incentivised Switching Scheme (including NatWest’s delivery of its obligations in connection with the Incentivised Switching Scheme). This scheme closed on 30th June 2021.
- Monitor compliance by Participants with the terms of the agreements governing the use of funds
- Reporting publicly on the Alternative Remedies Package (including how funding has been applied)
BCR Board of Directors
Aidene Walsh is the former CEO of The Fairbanking Foundation and has over 26 years’ experience in commercial banking at Citigroup, ABN Amro, RBS and Lloyds Banking Group, leading various international and UK payments and customer businesses. She is also a non-executive director at the Payment Systems Regulator.
Brendan Peilow is the former Crown Representative for Banking and Payments and the former Director of the Government Banking Service (Assistant Paymaster General). Brendan has 33 years’ experience working for Lloyds Banking Group across various roles.
Richard Anderson, Chair of BCR, is a past Chairman of the Institute of Risk Management and was a partner in PwC where he led the Strategic Risk Services group in Europe, Middle East and Africa before working in a variety of risk consulting practices, including setting up his own. He is the Chair of Monavate Holdings, a VC-backed FinTech company. He is a former independent NED at Pay.UK where he chaired the Risk Committee and Security sub-committee, he also chaired the Cheque & Credit Clearing Company. He has broad experience across many industries as an auditor and as a consultant with a strong governance background.
John Howard is a former award winning BBC Radio and TV Presenter and Author. He now Chairs the Customer Engagement Group of Scottish Power Energy Networks and is Founder and Director of Consumer Insights limited. He chairs the Advisory Group of the Transparency Task Force. Previous NED positions have included the Family Building Society, the Financial Ombudsman Service, the Gas and Electricity Markets Authority (Ofgem) and he is a passed Chairman of the Financial Services Consumer Panel to the Financial Services Authority.